We managed to catch Collin Sekajugo’s attention while he’s been busy at work here at the Kuona Trust studios, attending a two month international art residency. He told us a little bit about the Weaver Bird Community For The Arts, which is looking forward to the upcoming fiestArt 2012 art festival in August 2012.
The WEAVER BIRD COMMUNITY FOR THE ARTS and is located only 3Km off Masaka along the Kampala – Masaka – Mbarara Highway or 6Km from Masaka Town center.
“Weaver Bird Community for the Arts” is one of a kind community in Uganda whose major aim is to bridge the gap between the Arts and the Community while they use the arts to harness development and promote cultural Tourism in Uganda..
These are some of the few projects that are already running on site:
1. Weaver Bird International Artists Residency – a center that is to host and run international artists workshops and artists in reseidence programs.
2. Weaver Bird Handicrafts – a Local women cooperative that helps women develop their handicraft making skills through innovative workshops
3. Community Arts Center – a building that hosts artistic workshops for community members to enhance inovation and creativity within their normal craftmanship
4. Camp Ndegeya – a camping site with a sculpture park
5. COCHICO Lib – a children’s community library that was set up to promote early literacy within the community
6. Wasanii Park – 3 acres of land that we purchased to established an artists village with different small signature studios/galleries.
7. Ndegeya Youth Cultural Troupe – a local youth drama and dance group
For more information please email us on email@example.com or call us on +256 772 825 003 or +256 777 006 726